Radiator Balancing

Space heating, underfloor and central heating - Domestic Hot Water etc are covered under Plumbing

Radiator Balancing

Postby Antony » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:44 am

Hi,

My central heating system has recently been renewed, new boiler, pipework and radiators.
Problem is I can't seem to balance the system, I have purchased a set of clip on thermometers and used these as instructed on this website. On the first radiator closest to the boiler I can not achieve more than a 5 degree difference in temperature.
I have tried adjusting the speed of the pump still no joy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Antony

Re: Radiator Balancing

Postby Bill Peach » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:51 am

Don't worry too much about the 1st rad.
Can you achieve the temp. differential on the other rads?
Bill Peach

Postby Antony » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:36 am

No, not really, I tried on 2nd & 3rd rad from the boiler and I almost had to turn the value completely off to achieve the temperature drop.

I don't know if related to the problem but what speed should the pump be set to during balancing ?

My old pipe work was completely 15 mm, it was upgraded to 22mm with 15 mm reducing tees to each rad.
The pump was set to maximum speed originally, by the last plumber, how do I determine what it should be set to now ?

Many thanks for your time
Antony
Antony

Postby Bill Peach » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Leave your pump at max. for the time being. Balancing rads is not an exact science as long as you can achieve a similar temp. to each rad, and if that means almost shutting off the valve to get the right temp. then sobeit.
Its quite common that the first few rads are almost shut down, whilst the last rads on the circuit are fully open.
Remember... all you are trying aim for is for each rad to be similar in temp. The fact that you can't obtain the 20 deg. difference between flow and return is not that important.
Incidentally, why was the pipework upgraded to 22mm? Do you have more than the average No. of rads or length of pipe run?
Bill Peach

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:38 pm

new heating system fitted by ??????
get them back to have a look
Neil

Postby pobble » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:55 pm

I wonder if the plumber in his wisdom has fitted a single 22mm loop round the house and back to the boiler and the rads sit on top of this. ie the rads are not on a flow and return circuit.
pobble

Postby Bill Peach » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:19 am

Ah hah! Pobble may have hit on something.
I assumed it was a standard 2 pipe (flow & return) system but it may be a 1 pipe (old hat) type. In which case you will never get that temp. differential. Check with the installer to see if he installed a 22mm single loop with 15mm tails off for the rads?? And as has already been suggested, get him back to balance.
Bill Peach

Return to Heating

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy