drains

Plumbing covering hot and cold domestic systems, drainage and related topics

drains

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:25 pm

I am starting a complete house refurbish,and whilst pulling out the bathroom i noticed when the toilet flushed upstairs water (only had water in the toilet thank goodness) came out of the kitchen sink??I traced the sink outlet pipe to outside then into the road.I cannot find a connector to the main drain pipe.I guess i have a blocked drain beyond where it connects which could be streetside.I cannot see any rod points.Is this a job for the local council or any chemicals that can be recommended.Thanks all
Bob

Re: drains

Postby Pacman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:41 am

Hi Bob,

Just came across this site and your email, just got over the exact same prob, its your responsibility to get it cleared from the house to the main sewer, so like me you will have to rod it, but when you do get the wheel attachment for the rods this will enable them to pass through the pipe work easily. dependent on the length of soil pipe you have, you may need two sets of rods, follow the manufacturers guide on how to insert and how to turn as you don't want to loose them down there. I would do what i did and send them from your toilet soil pipe. You could go down the route of having someone in to water jet the system but it will cost you about £300 - £400 for about 10 mins of work.. its a bit smelly with the rods but think of the money in your back pocket.
Pacman

Postby trevor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:21 am

Hi Bob,

Your kitchen drain should have an external air break to ensure any back pressure from drain problems discharges outside the house and not inside.
These are normally a brick/concrete gully or tundish.
trevor

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:26 am

many thanks for the points so far raised.It is an old property and no signs of rodding point or main sewer cover. I will be on the case shortly and get to the root of the matter.
regards
bob
Bob

Return to Plumbing

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy