Insulating solid walls

Basically, anything DIY related not covered in another forum

Insulating solid walls

Postby Craig Harris » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi,
I've got an old house (100 years) with solid walls i.e. no cavities.
I'm currently decorating all the rooms has anyone got any advice on the type of products I could use to stop condensation forming on the walls and also insulate them a little better.
Craig Harris

Re: Insulating solid walls

Postby Paul McNamara » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 pm

Craig,

The best method you can use it to dry-line the walls using either an insulation board (it is plasterboard which already has insulation bonded to the back face) that you can use the dot and dab method to attach to the walls; or you can install wooden battens and fit polystyrene between them and cover over with ordinary plasterboard - use the one with the foil backing which acts as a moisture barrier. In either case, you will lose some of the room as you are looking at 1-1.5 inches of thickness. To minimise the loss, remove the existing plaster back to bare brick.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Re: Insulating solid walls

Postby Bill Peach » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 am

If you go onto the following website www.british-gypsum.com you will see the sort of board Paul is talking about (Thermaline is the name they give it) but there are other manufacturers. There are several grades depending on the insulation performance and your pocket
Bill Peach

Return to General Building

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy