condensation in double glazing

Problems with condensation and damp around the house

condensation in double glazing

Postby Jane » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:58 pm

This is not really a DIY query but I don't know where to ask.I have had new bespoke hardwood double glazed windows fitted. During the winter there was a small amount of condensation occurring at the base of each unit. The manufacturer told me that this is normal. I never had this problem with the old PVC units I replaced. Nor have I seen the problem abroad with wooden units. What is the explanation and should I insist that they are re-done?
Jane

Re: condensation in double glazing

Postby John Gallon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi Jane,
Is the condensation between the two panes of glass or is it on the room side? If it is between the panes then you have a claim (within the guarantee period).
If the condensation is on the room side it could be cold bridging across the solid wood frames, PVC frames are better insulated with air spaces in the frame to stop cold bridging,
John
John Gallon

Postby Jane » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks John,
It is between the panes- about 2" at the bottom of each window.
Jane
Jane

Postby John Gallon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Jane,
This is not "normal" and shows a fault with either the fitting of the glass units or faulty units, either way you should have a claim under your guarantee unless it has run out.
This problem happens more often with wood windows than with PVC usually because there is not the room for movement of the glass as the units expand and contract more than single glazing and the seal can break. In wood windows the glass units should be bedded in with butyl putty which does not set hard and allows for movement in the glass.
John Gallon

Postby Jane » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for that. I will take it up with the joiner.

Jane
Jane

Return to Condensation and Damp etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy