condensation

Problems with condensation and damp around the house

condensation

Postby jac » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:49 pm

I have a problem with condensation in bathroom, do i need a heater or dehumidifier.
jac

Re: condensation

Postby Paul McNamara » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:41 pm

jac,

It depends on what is the root cause of the condensation and where it is.

If you have a shower in there, you probably need an extractor fan. If the condensation is on the cistern of your toilet it is due to the shower and the cold water in the cistern.

You imply that there is no heater in your bathroom, they are normally kept quite warm - you will be naked in there at some point! A heater would help but not stop condensation.

Please provide more information and we might be able to give you a more specific answer.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby jac » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 am

the condensation is mostly on the cistern and the window. there is a shower and no heating.
jac

Postby Paul McNamara » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Jac,

This is very common place for condensation even in bathrooms with heating. When you have a shower, the room fills with steam and the water in the cistern is colder than the surroundings so the water condenses there - same with the window.

The main thing to think about is there any ventilation which can extract the steam and reduce the condensation?

The way I got around the condensation on the cistern in my bathroom (with heating) was to line it with the expanding filler foam from B & Q and then cutting out the middle to give me the volume of water for the flush. Even that hasn't cured the problem totally!
Paul McNamara

Postby John Gallon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:08 am

Condensation can be worse on cisterns that are fed directly from the mains, if the feed is from the cold storage tank the water is usually nearer room temperature,
John
John Gallon

Return to Condensation and Damp etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy