loft insulation

Loft, wall and other types of insulation and energy related topics

loft insulation

Postby DAVE SMITHSON » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:09 pm

HI ALL,I AM THINKING OF ADDING SOME EXTRA INSULATION IN MY LOFT.I HAVE OBTAINED SOME INSULATION LIKE BUBBLEWRAP WITH FOIL ON BOTH SIDES.I HAVE RECENTLY HAD A NEW ROOF PUT ON WITH CONCRETE DOUBLE ROMAN TILES ON TOP OF FELT.COULD I FIX THIS TYPE OF INSULATION DIRECT TO THE RAFTERS OR SHOULD I LAY IT ON TOP OF THE FLOOR JOISTS,FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT. THANKS DAVE.
DAVE SMITHSON

Re: loft insulation

Postby Trickie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 am

Morning
If you intend to use the loft space then fix to the rafters, if not then the floor will do.
I fixed mine with a good heavy duty staplegun. Start at the top and overlap by 100mm, then if you do have a drop or two of water- not with a new roof!!- it will fall to the outside
Cheers
Trickie

Postby DAVE SMITHSON » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:54 pm

THANKS FOR THE REPLY THE LOFT FLOOR IS ALREADY INSULATED WITH FIBREGLASS, AND IS USED FOR STORAGE ONLY, IF THE FOIL WAS STAPLED TO THE RAFTERS, AS YOU SAY, WOULD ANY CONDENSATION FORM ON THE INSIDE.THANKS
DAVE SMITHSON

Postby justin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:52 pm

You need to have a properly ventilated air gap above the insulation or you will get damp and rot. Lay the new insulation on top of the existing
justin

Postby Ian Elder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:56 pm

hi if you go to http://www.alububble.ie/ they will give you the best fitting advice
Ian Elder

Return to Insulation and energy topics

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy