Is loose Loft insulation the answer?

Loft, wall and other types of insulation and energy related topics

Is loose Loft insulation the answer?

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:11 pm

I have an odd shaped bungalow, it has no loft space but just a sloping roof (about 11 inches of space between the (man made) slate roof and the plasterboard ceiling.
Currently there is just 20mm of fiberglass insulation. So my question is can I “just” cut a 6 inch hole at the top of the ceiling and fill the cavity with a loose insulation.?

I’ve had a survey from one of the energy companies and they said “your cavity is too small for wall insulation and we don’t do your type of roof, bye”…. (I’m so glad I took a day off work for that ;-) )

Any help or ideas to try to reduce my heating costs would help.

Thanks
Dave,
Dave

Re: Is loose Loft insulation the answer?

Postby JIMBOB » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 pm

Dave, sorry but don't have a solution to your problem.

However, my roof is similar, monoroof or something they called mine. The roof rises at the front of the house going to the rear where (in the loft space) i can just about stand - I'm only 5'5".

anyways, i could get normal loft insulation. the man from Miller Insulations said that the loose fill stuff is just as good but very messy and therefore sounds like you could use it.
JIMBOB

Postby John Gallon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi Dave,
If you try and fill the cavity you must leave a space of at least 50mm between the slates and insulation and also make sure that any eaves vents are not blocked so that the underside of the slates and spars are freely ventilated. If you have a sloping then loose fill may roll down the slope and block ventilation,

John
John Gallon

Postby fred » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi,

One concern I would have using loose loft insulation in your situation is keeping it in place.

Where I've used it, I've 'stopped' the gaps between the joists with pieces of ply just above the inner wall thus stopping the insulation from getting into the cavity and above the soffits.

By the sound of it, you won't be able to get to the inside edges of the roof so won't be able to 'contain' it.
fred

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:00 pm

Thank you for your help. I guess I'll keep looking maybe spray on will be better then, but i don't fancy taking down all the ceilings to do it...wonder if you can fill it like a cavity wall with just a number of holes. I assume that there is no need for the 50mm gap with spray on.

Dave,
Dave

Postby barrie kebbell » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 pm

just a thought, could you go over the ceilings with a plasterboard that has the insulation attached to it you can get it with one inch or two inches thick on the back of plasterboard.you will only be lowering the ceiling height by max two and half inches.
barrie kebbell

Return to Insulation and energy topics

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy