DIY loft insulation materials cost!

Loft, wall and other types of insulation and energy related topics

DIY loft insulation materials cost!

Postby Matt » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:57 pm

I am hoping to do a home DIY loft insulation job because I like DIY but have also heard it can save me money. However, the cost of buying the raw glass fibre insulation from at least one website costs more than a quote from an insulation company I have previously contacted.

I calculate that roughly the loft area to be covered is just over 40m squared. To achieve the recommended 300mm depth, I would need 8 10msquared 150mm depth rolls yet that comes to £320. Previous quotes have been under £280 for the whole job to be done.

Am I making a wrong calculation here or is it simply not possible for a DIYer to achieve the economies of scale enjoyed by professionals?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt

Re: DIY loft insulation materials cost!

Postby fred » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:04 am

Yep, it could be that the grants make DIY insulation uneconomical.

To add another point (for confusion ??) - my OAP mother had her loft insulated by a regional company under the grant scheme and I had them back twice to sort it out. They had just laid the insulation across the floor of the roof, where cables ran unsupported between joists they just took the insulation over the top and laid it on the cable. There was also a gap between the bottom of the insulation on the cold water tank and the insulation on the floor.

The first time they returned, the same chaps came, spent about 30 minutes in the loft and I couldn't see the difference. The second time their 'local inspector' came, spend about a hour in the loft, tore the insulation above the cables and stuffed it under - also fitted a larger jacket around the cold water tank.

I'm sure not all companies are the same, but you need to keep an eye on what they do.
fred

Postby fred » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi,

I think your calculations are about right.

Looking at the Wickes website (who only sell it in store so there's no transport charge), their 170mm roll covers just over 8m2 and costs £29 each.

So you would require 10 rolls (for 40m2 twice) costing £290 - less than your estimate but not including delivery - it is bulky so delivery cost would be significant.

Your quote for the whole job seems low, it is often a good idea to get at least three quotes - and then if any is significantly different, you have to ask why?

I hope this helps.
fred

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm

thanks for the quick reply.

the quote i have had is also reflected on other insulators' websites. Perhaps government grants are making the difference.

Does it seem fair to conclude that DIY loft insulation is not economically viable then?

cheers
Matt

Return to Insulation and energy topics

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy