Large Over Bath Mirror

Covering bathroom suites, wc's, and other bathroom aspects - topics concerning the plumbing in a bathroom should be in the PLUMBING forum

Large Over Bath Mirror

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum so go easy on me!!! Just re-tiling my bathroom which is fairly small and to make it look bigger i would like to fit a large mirror above the bath on the wall and tile around it so that the mirror appears in the wall. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how i should fit this so it is very safe. Have seen these fitted before without any fittings showing which do look nice, and was wondering if something like gripfill was used and if this is strong enough and safe enough to hold up over a bath?? Any help would be appreciated - many thanks
Nathan

Re: Large Over Bath Mirror

Postby John Gallon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Hi Nathan,
There is a special mirror fixing adhesive. The one I have used came in a "mastic" type tube for use in a normal mastic gun and gave detailed instructions on how to use including the bead pattern and thickness applied to the back of the mirror.
For any other than easily handled mirrors I leave transporting and fixing to the mirror supplier so that they take the risks, breakages etc.
With large mirrors over a bath I would tile the wall first leaving out the shape of the mirror and then get your glass merchant, supplier to measure, supply and fix,
John
John Gallon

Postby John » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:39 am

Hi
Fully agree with Johns reply.
Its worth the extra to get it fitted its going to be a main feature for a long time, so the initial extra expense will be worth it.
What you don't want is for any water to ingress and cause pitting to the backing.

We had mirror tiles fitted in the dark corner of our Bathroom above the toilet, Ha! big talking point from all male visitors over the years,! however now replaced this area with a tiled picture view. Due to pitting.
John
John

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks both for your help with this.
Nathan

Return to Bathroom

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy