Can I install a 9.5kw shower in my bathroom.

Covering bathroom suites, wc's, and other bathroom aspects - topics concerning the plumbing in a bathroom should be in the PLUMBING forum

Can I install a 9.5kw shower in my bathroom.

Postby Simon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:11 pm

I have taken an old electric shower out, and have 10mm cable in the wall. can I install a 9.5kw shower onto this?
Simon

Re: Can I install a 9.5kw shower in my bathroom.

Postby Paul Barker » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:07 am

Probably, depends on cable length, but most likely to be OK.

It is a job that should be done by a member of a competent person's scheme in the eyes of the law. We would check the bathroom bonding and bring it up to standard, inspect and test the feed to the shower, ensuring correct fuse/breaker for required disconnection time, and that it is rcd protected, check and put right main equipotential bonding of installation.

If you don't get one of us to do this you are at least supposed to write to the local authority two weeks before starting work tell them your plans so they can make themselves available to check your first and second fix and charge you for your certificate.
Paul Barker

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:16 pm

IF EXISTING SHOWER [THE ONE YOU ARE TAKING OUT] IS THE SAME [KW RATING] AS THE NEW ONE ,NOT NOTIFIABLE
IE ITS LIKE FOR LIKE
Neil

Postby Paul Barker » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Neil is WRONG - ANY work in a SPECIAL LOCATION, such as a bathroom, is notifiable, and if the person doing the work isn't a member of a competent person's scheme, they have to notify the Local Authority in advance of starting work.
Paul Barker

Return to Bathroom

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy