Bathroom in Rented Flat

Covering bathroom suites, wc's, and other bathroom aspects - topics concerning the plumbing in a bathroom should be in the PLUMBING forum

Bathroom in Rented Flat

Postby Tim Harrison » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:41 am

I live in a rented flat built 6 years ago.
Above the bath is an extractor fan and a light fitting. Are these safe to have directly above the water?

Does a rented property have to meet current regulations or only those that were applicable at the time the place was built?

Thanks
Tim Harrison

Re: Bathroom in Rented Flat

Postby Paul McNamara » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Paul McNamara

Re: Bathroom in Rented Flat

Postby David » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:51 pm

The link given point to the current (17th edition) regulations, which only came into force a few weeks ago. As your flat was built six years ago it only has to comply with the regulations in force when they were built i.e the 16th edition.

You can find these at:
http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathro ... cs-old.php

Provided the fan and light are rated for installation in the relevant zone they are OK.

The new regulations will only apply if changes or additions are made. The landlord has, by law, to get the electrical installation tested at regular intervals (I think it is every 5 years); they may have to get it tested when there is a change of tenant. Ask you landlord for the last test certificate. If you have any gas appliances, you should also ask for the last gas certificate. They have to be done every year when occupied or when a new tenant moves in, if the last one was over a year ago.
David

Return to Bathroom

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy