Radio interference in bathroom

Covering bathroom suites, wc's, and other bathroom aspects - topics concerning the plumbing in a bathroom should be in the PLUMBING forum

Radio interference in bathroom

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:53 pm

My battery operated radio in the bathroom picks up interference from the low-voltage lighting system. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?
Nick

Re: Radio interference in bathroom

Postby Paul McNamara » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Nick,

The problem you have is that the low power lights have a 50Hz transformer somewhere in the ceiling which is radiating through to the bathroom; it is likely that the suppression on this unit is either not present or not working - i don't know the pros and cons of electrics as I'm a mechanical engineer but there should be a capacitor somewhere in the system to stop this. You could try and go into the roof space above the bathroom and put the transformer on top of a large sheet of aluminum foil to try and stop the emissions going downwards but if this does not work then all you can do is move the radio around until you find a spot that is not as susceptible to the interference.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Re: Radio interference in bathroom

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks, Paul, I'll give it a go.
Nick
Nick

Return to Bathroom

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy