Wiring a conservatory

Advice relating to new construction work other than Regulations (which are covered below)

Wiring a conservatory

Postby will » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:43 am

I am doing the wiring for our new conservatory. We need:
overhead lighting,
external lighting
sockets (7 doubles)
2 electrical heaters

I am wondering what the rules are. I'd like to extend the 1st floor ring main (the one with the lowest current load) for the sockets and also use it to supply the lighting with a 5A fuse in line.
The 2kw heaters can presumably run off fused spurs from the ring and the external lighting can come off the overhead lighting as long as I ensure that all the external fixtures are IP55 compliant.

Can anyone let me know if the above plan will fall foul of regulations or inspectors?

Thanks,
Will
will

Re: Wiring a conservatory

Postby john boy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 am

All i can say is Part P.

if you do it yourself you are still going to have to pay for an electrician to pass it off (certify it).

my only suggestion would be to have a word with a few electricians for a quote. when they are round you'll get an idea if they are reliable or not. get a price on certify only and supply and fit.

at least when they're round you can put your ideas to them and the feedback you;ll get will hopefully assist with your task.

if it were me, i'd put in a separate ring altogether.
john boy

Postby will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:04 am

Thanks john boy.

I am aware of the Part P thing and WILL get it certified. Actually, I rewired my house 18 years ago (the 3rd house I've rewired). What I need to know is whether the regulations will allow me to go for the plan I outlined above.

For example, do I now need a circuit breaker between the house wiring and the outside lights? - I know I didn't need to 18 years ago, but things change.
Is it still OK to connect lighting to a ring main if there is a 5A fuse in the way?

Thanks,
Will
will

Postby Neil » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:22 pm

sockets likely to be use outside must have rcd
lights out side [dependent on height]
must have rcd
Neil

Postby will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks Neil.

Do you happen to know what height?
will

Postby Hoops » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi all,
Just a quick one on the outside lights, as far as im aware you do not need to RCD outside lights, as long as there rated correctly for ingress of water i do not believe an RCD is required. If you were to place these on an RCD every time a bulb went it would trip out the rest of the power in the house etc.
I would be tempted to run the Heaters and the sockets off of a separate MCB, if possible. Failing that you can pick up a separate unit for about 30 - 40 quid with a built in RCD to get over the issue of sockets being used outside. There typically 2way plus the RCD, so would be ideal, as you could run the lights and power from this. I think the load potentially to the existing ring could be a too high for comfort, so would opt for this approach.
And in answer you can run lights off a fused down spur.

Hope this helps.
Hoops

Postby will » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Excellent Hoops,
Thanks to you and everyone else who has provided advice. If anyone has any more gems of wisdom, they will still be welcome.

Best - Will
will

Return to New Build, Self Build, Extensions etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy