Roofing Felt

Topics covering Roof Timbers, Roof Covering, Soffits, Fascias etc

Roofing Felt

Postby T J » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:48 pm

we are looking to purchase an old house and the slate roof from the outside looks in very good order, however when I looked into the loft space I noticed that there was no roofing felt fitted but all was very dry. Is this normal or old houses?
T J

Re: Roofing Felt

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi TJ,

What you say surprises me - if the house is old but the roof is in good condition, I'd have thought that the roof had been reslated in, say, the last 50 years - in which case I would have expected them have have used felt under the slates.

However, even without the felt, with a good slate roof (i.e. with the right overlaps of slates etc) I wouldn't be surprised for the loft space to be dry providing the property is sheltered from winds. In an exposed position the wind could force rain up under the slates.

It also depends on when you viewed the property (i.e. was it after a long dry period) as without felt the roof would be fairly well ventilated and any moisture could have dried out.

Was the loft insulated ? without insulation heat from the house would also help it dry out, and if you added insulation you'd lose this affect and any moisture could collect in it giving problems.

I hope these comment help.
Roger

Postby T J » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks for that Roger, yes the roof void has been recently insulated by the looks of it. We viewed it last week during a fairly dry spell of cold weather. Would it be a sensible option at some stage to apply breathable felt to the underside of the joists as a precaution and until finances allow a full strip down?!
T J

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi again TJ,

I'm not sure:

1. Part of me says putting breathable felt under the joists won't do any harm and should stop damp getting into the loft space but the joists may then get wet and not dry out.
2. Another part of me says, keep an eye on the loft after rain and see how it looks. Without the breathable felt, the loft should be better ventilated so any dampness (providing the insulation doesn't become soaked) should soon disappear from both the joists and loft space.

On balance, I'd leave it for now and keep an eye on the loft.
Roger

Return to Roofing

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy