Telephone Extension Query

Wiring and connecting Telephone sockets, TV Aerials and other 'data' wiring

Telephone Extension Query

Postby Emma » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:19 pm

I am planning on fitting an extension from my master socket, as described on the diydata website, so i can have one new socket upstairs in my house. Primarily i want to use it to fit my router to it.

A couple of people have told me that they've heard that doing this makes your connection worse than when it's attached to the master socket. I was wondering if anyone has actually done this and noticed any difference in their connection. If so, how much of a difference does it make? I also play games online (MMORPGs) so having a good connection makes things easier
Emma

Re: Telephone Extension Query

Postby Paul McNamara » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Emma,

I have been running my modem on an extension for over a year without any problems - and I just used cheap cable but installed it into the IDC type faceplate. The extension is only about 11 metres long which would not necessarily be enough to go upstairs - at least not to a useful location.

A colleague at work also has his ADSL modem on an extension and he doesn't have any problems either.

I hope this gives you some assurance that it should be OK.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby Gordon Ball » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Same here Emma, before I went cable broadband I never had any problems with the setup you describe.
Gordon Ball

Postby Emma » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks for the helpful comments, I'll give it a go :)
Emma

Return to Telephone, TV wiring etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy