Phones

Wiring and connecting Telephone sockets, TV Aerials and other 'data' wiring

Phones

Postby Tom » Fri May 12, 2006 8:08 am

I have installed several phone points in my home and they all work fine. However i have recently installed a fax machine, when this machine is plugged in two of the phone start to ring. This is not a normal ring tone but a continuous ring. I have tried all i can think of to rectify the problem but i am now out of ideas. Can any one help please.
Tom

Re: Phones

Postby fred » Fri May 12, 2006 10:53 am

Hi Tom,

I'm not a telephone expert but could it be something to do with the total REN value you have plugged in to your master socket. I seem to remember that overloading the master socket will affect the ringing in some way.

Page http://www.diydata.com/projects/telepho ... ockets.php says that the max REN of all equipment connected is 4.

As I say, I'm no expert and my fax machine does not show a REN value but it must have one and possibly higher than an ordinary handset.

If I were you, I would try the fax with just one handset connected, and if that's OK, start adding handsets one by one.

Good luck.
fred

Return to Telephone, TV wiring etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy