Wiring external bell BT 80D

Wiring and connecting Telephone sockets, TV Aerials and other 'data' wiring

Wiring external bell BT 80D

Postby chris » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:23 am

I have bought a BT80D external bell which I wish to connect to my house phone line.
I have an extension socket in the garage to which I have connected the bell, using connections 3 & 5 in the socket. However it does not ring, not even click! A phone plugged into the extension socket rings normally. I have tried two other sockets with the same result.
There is a BT installed REN booster on the line, with 2 wired handsets and 2 DECT base stations, as well as the bell, after the booster.
Any idea what I might have done wrong?
chris

Re: Wiring external bell BT 80D

Postby Paul McNamara » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Chris,

It is possible that the bell is wired to lines 2 and 5 and not 3 and 5 whereas the phones are wired to 2, 3 and 5. See this website:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wirin ... phone.html

Adding in another wire to connection 2 should sort it out.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby chris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:32 am

Thanks, Paul
The bell only has 2 wires. If I connect one to the 2 rather then the 3 connector in the garage socket, I get life (ting) from the bell and a tiny spark as the wire touches the 2 connector but the line then appears engaged if I phone from my mobile.
I have tried wiring into the faceplate of the master socket and the bell works fine there on 3 & 5.
I have checked the junction box next to the REN booster and notice the wires are connected to 1 thru 4, blue with white, white with blue, orange with white, white with orange. However as the incoming and outgoing colours match, I assume the connectors used are irrelevant.
Is there anything else I could try?
I appreciate your help
chris

Postby Paul McNamara » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:51 am

Chris,

Since the bell is after the REN booster it could be a problem with that - can you temporarily take it out of the circuit to see if you get a ring on 3 and 5 in the required location (assuming you don't have too many items plugged in - make sure your total REN is below 4).

I had a quick google and any references to this bell recommend professional installation - maybe it is this sort of problem they are alluding to?

Sorry can't think of anything else to suggest.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby chris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Thanks, Paul
I have had a BT engineer take a look at it when fixing another problem but he could not solve it either.
Looks like I will have to try to run a new cable from the master socket. Unfortunately
that means running 45 feet of cable through the roof voids!
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.
Chris
chris

Return to Telephone, TV wiring etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy