Changing master socket to extension

Wiring and connecting Telephone sockets, TV Aerials and other 'data' wiring

Changing master socket to extension

Postby Karen Harwood » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:39 am

I have two lines coming into my house (different numbers). The second line is fed from the main master socket and is wired to another master socket in my office. However, this second line/number has been ceased and I want now to change this to be an ordinary extension from my main socket. Does anybody know how I can do this?
Karen Harwood

Re: Changing master socket to extension

Postby Paul McNamara » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:43 am

Karen,

If the socket in your office is a master socket then you need to remove it and replace it with an extension socket (one without the capacitor). Depending on how the wiring comes into the first master socket for the second line depends on what you have to do but you should have 4 core wire between the two locations.

Assuming you have an NTE5 master socket (the lower half of the faceplate is unscrewed and will then pull off revealing some IDC terminals and a plug which has just come out of a socket in the remaining upper faceplate):

Wire into IDC terminals 2,3,4 and 5 with Blue/white ring, Orange/white ring, White/orange ring and White/blue ring in that order at both socket locations and then replace the faceplates. You now have an extension.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby Karen Harwood » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Thanks Paul. I've checked the socket downstairs (NTE5) and it does have the 4 cables you mention. The second line has been wired into the back of this socket and has cables coloured as orange, white, green and black - all solid colours. Green and black are not connected, and the orange and white are connected via some plastic thing.
In my office (NTE5 again), the orange is in A, the white is in B - again the green and black are not connected.
Will I need to replace the cable that runs from the main socket to the office?
Karen Harwood

Postby Paul McNamara » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am

Karen,

So long as you have 4 conductors between the downstairs NTE5 and your office you can use that, the important thing is to wire them 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4 and 5 to 5 and you can choose which colour you use for each, just remove the 'plastic thing' to free up the cable at the NTE5 box end. The reason for 4 wires in the house is to maintain the ringer circuits in all the phones, only 2 of them are for the actual telephone line out of the house. As before, you do not want an NTE5 in the office, just an extension plate.

Paul
Paul McNamara

Postby Karen Harwood » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks a lot Paul. I did it today and it is working just how it should. Thanks for your help - saved me £110 + VAT for a BT engineer.
Karen Harwood

Return to Telephone, TV wiring etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy