Garder Sheds Planning Permission

Any issues relating to Planning. Building Regulations (including Part P), the Party Wall Act and other regulations

Garder Sheds Planning Permission

Postby Michael » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

What is the current national requirement for planning permission for a garden shed / sheds. My local authority information desk says only "not more than half the garden area, not more that 3 metres high, or 4 with a ridged roof."
On your planning rules page you state that the area should be not more that 15 square metres and should be at least 1 metre from the boundary if no planning permission nor building regs compliance are needed.
Can a Local Authority ignore or redefine these requirements ?
I am thinking of a shed 15 metres long and 2.5 metres wide half a metre from the boundary. Can I assume that it will be properly free from all planning and Building regulation considerations apart from height ?
Michael

Re: Garder Sheds Planning Permission

Postby Dave » Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Under Class E of Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (as amended), buildings and structures in the gardens of dwelling houses for purposes incidential to the enjoyment of the main dwelling house, for example as a gym, games room, playroom or store, can often be built without requiring planning permission.

In terms of the size of such a building if it is more than 5 metres from the dwelling house then it can take up to 50% of the garden area of the property (including the front and rear gardens). and in terms of its height if it has a ridged roof it can be up to 4 metres high, or 3 metres with any other type of roof. The building must also not be closer to any highway that bounds the curtilage of the property than the original dwelling house or within 20 metres of that highway (whichever is closer).

If the above tolerances are not exceeded, given that the property is a dwelling house & is not within a Conservation Area then planning permission would not be required for the erection of a summer house.

This is Harrow Council i think there may be slight variations so it would be wise to have a chat with the Duty planner prior to engaging works at your local planning dept.
Dave

Postby DIYdata » Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Michael,

We did actually add the 15 square metres to our Planning Regs page in 2004 following a 'complaint' from a local authority that we were misleading the public.

The point may revolve around whether a 'shed' is a 'small detached building' and how a Council interpret it.

All feedback welcome.
DIYdata

Postby Michael » Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for your responses.
Michael

Return to Planning, Building Regs etc

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy