Which pipe connectors are best?

Plumbing covering hot and cold domestic systems, drainage and related topics

Re: Which pipe connectors are best?

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Solder type have been around for years and are also easier to make in tight spaces - getting a spanner in to make a compression fitting can be tricky. If you're soldering for the first time, just make sure you experiment first - joints must be very clean and fluxed to work. They're also cheapest.

You can usually join copper and plastic no problem, but you should use earthing cable to ensure that you don't break the earth circuit. Something to watch if you have mice - sometimes they chew on plastic pipe....
Andy

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Copper is the best option, it shall look neater, there is nothing wrong using pushfit fittings but they are bulky.

There is also the price of copper which is far dearer then plastics, but fittings for plastics are also dear it depends how much rerun of pipework you have to do.

As for the waste its personal choice but if its going to be inaccessible i would go for solvent glued joints not push/compression.

As for copper to plastic connection you can as the outer diameter for plastic and copper is the same.
Dave

Postby Rod » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 am

Adam,

I'd go for solder, Yorkshire fittings for the copper - if you use compression, make sure you can get at them. Stainless Steel ? I'm not sure they are available in the UK, also, I'd be a bit concerned about mixing metals - you get corrosive effects - unless you're sure (I'm not) don't mix metals.

On waste pipe, solvent.
Rod

Return to Plumbing

---------------------------------

© Copyright 2013 diydata.net
Reproduction of any content on this website is strictly forbidden. - Privacy Policy